Here is an easy and eco-friendly way to make baby board shorts:
1. Lay old board shorts out flat. On top of them place baby shorts to be traced. Fold the baby shorts in half, with the outside seam of the baby shorts along the side seam of the board shorts. Place the hem of the baby shorts along the hem of the board shorts (as pictured).
2. Cut around the baby shorts allowing 1/2 inch extra for seam allowance. At the top of the baby shorts leave about 2 1/2 inches for the waistband. Repeat process on the other side of the board shorts, using the piece you just cut as your new template.
3. Open the two pieces of cut board short and place them right sides together. Pin in place. Sew from the waist to the crotch on both sides.4. Open up the new baby board shorts so that the crotch seam you just sewed is now in the center. Pin the legs together, aligning the bottom hems and center seam. Sew from one side to the other.
5. To make the waistband, fold down the top 1/4 inch and press. Fold down another inch and press again. Sew this down leaving a 2 inch opening to insert 3/4 inch elastic.
6. Hook safety pin into the elastic and thread it through the waist, being careful not to twist it. Sew ends of elastic together, and opening shut. Turn right side out and your re-used board shorts are ready for some fun at the beach!